Using a DSLR
Last week we completed our first photo assignment of the semester, Seeing Red. It was enjoyable, except for the 20 minutes I was walking around Columbia in 13 degree weather. I submitted three photos with something red as the prominent element. (Thus, Seeing Red.) We'll be editing these photos this week in lab, but I thought it would be good to post the raw files here. The first photo I took was along the side of the Tin Can, a restaurant just north of MU's Francis Quadrangle. I took an angle that individuals don't see normally, but the camera was tilted slightly, which you can see by looking at the building in the distance. The lighting settings weren't perfect, but the texture of the red paint on the wall worked well.
The Second photo is of the doors on the Presbyterian Church across the street from Shakespeare's Pizza. My goal here was to use the doors as a sort of "leading line" and utilize the rule of thirds by placing the front door (and it's handle) as close to the first third as possible. This worked well and the white balance and lighting settings were in tact.
The third photo's concept was my favorite, but the focus and white balance didn't work out as well as I would have hoped. The background appears yellow and the front of the prominent checker just didn't want to focus at the same time as its back. Overall, the photo worked out though.
The photos didn't turn out perfect, but I learned a lot about working with a DSLR, adjusting the aperture, white balance and focus and that was the goal. This week our assignment deals with taking photos for a half-semester project on a band, group or organization. My project is on a local band, Richard the Lionhearted. You can find some of their music here. Hopefully I'll have my first round of photos for that project up next week.